If you are enthusiastic about the industrial heritage of the UK, this is your chance to share your passion so others can learn and appreciate just how much this country has to offer. If you live nearby or know of a heritage site that you have always wanted to document, then submit your writing and we’ll publish it providing it meets our guidelines.
The heritage site(s) you wish to write about must:
- be located in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland;
- have come into existence between the years 1700 and 1945;
- be accessible to the public;
- have a tangible structure or remains, sites where a structure used to exist are not applicable; and
- be related to industry. This can include anything connected to historical manufacturing, civil engineering, transport, and infrastructure. If you love canals, bridges, aqueducts, tunnels, railways, viaducts, steam engines, classic commercial vehicles, industrial museums, pumping stations, artificial reservoirs, and factories, then this is the site for you to share your enthusiasm.
When writing your article, please include:
- original images;
- video embed links (optional);
- a table detailing the following information:
- Year completed
- Who maintains the heritage site
- Protection status such as listing grade, category, or Scheduled Ancient Monument )if applicable)
- a detailed guide on the best way to enjoy the attraction and whether it is suitable for a picnic;
- details about transport to the attraction, such as the best places to park, nearest railway stations, and how to walk to sites that are not easily found; and
- detailed info about the history with a list of citations.
We use Harvard referencing (Cite Them Right) as our method for citing sources, a quick guide is available here. We expect you to use credible sources when writing the history of attractions. Please do not include Wikipedia as a source.
We do not pay our contributors, this site is maintained out of pure enthusiasm. Since we are not seeking to make a profit, we do not take ownership of any content you contribute, we are just sharing your love for all things British and industrial.
Copyright and plagiarism
We only accept original content and will refuse to publish if it publicly exists elsewhere on the internet. You are more than welcome to include excerpts from the work of others providing it is cited.
We only accept imagery that you own or is available via gratuitous licensing agreements such as Creative Commons. Be sure to check the citation requirements of such licences. By sending us content and imagery that you own, you are granting industrialtour.co.uk a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free and worldwide licence to host and publicly display your content. You still own the intellectual property rights, we just need your permission to display it.
All contributors will receive full credit in the form of an author box that contains your name, profile photo, a short description, and a link to a site of your choosing.
If you do not have the expertise to start your own website, we can offer you a high-quality platform to publish content that is optimised for search engines.
If you are happy to contribute, please contact us to get the ball rolling.